A Night With Robert Royston
January 14th, 2023
Man, have I got a surprise for you! 8 time US Open Champion Robert Royston was supposed to work at Monterey Swing this weekend but he’s stuck in Denver!
I’ve asked him to teach, perform, and dance at Elevation this weekend and he said yes!
If you don’t know Robert, he’s arguably the best west coast swing instructor who’s ever lived. Robert teaches intensives on dance physics and musicality all over the world.
He coaches the best of the best in our dance…
Including: Kyle and Sarah, Ben Morris, Gary and Susan, Ben and Cameo, Jakub and Em, Tashina, PJ, Semione and Maria, and dozens of the top Champions.
You can learn more about Robert (he starred in the broadway show Swing, choreographed for Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, and more), you can read his bio at the bottom of this page.
Here’s what we’ve got planned for this Saturday 1/14 at Colorado Dancesport in Littleton:
Note: make sure to read about the “dance card” below which I’ll get into in a second….
At 7 pm, he’ll be teaching a 1 hour musicality workshop he calls “Fun Musicality Moments for Leaders and Followers.”
At 8 pm, MK, Marsha, and Lizzy will start DJing the social dance which will go until about midnight.
At 9 pm, Robert will be doing a WCS improv performance with All-Star Lizzy Spann.
Dancecard: Robert will also have a dance card available at registration prior to the start of his 7 pm workshop. First come first serve! The dancecard is capped at 25 dancers (leaders or followers can sign up). It’s free and you’ll be guaranteed a dance during the social with legend Robert Royston!
This Event will be held at Colorado Dancesport in Littleton! The address is: 5120 S Lowell Blvd, Littleton, CO 80123
About Robert Royston
Robert Royston’s professional career began on the competitive couples dance circuit in 1989. Quickly ascending the ranks, Robert successfully secured:
- Eight (8) “U.S. Open Swing Dance Championship Titles” in 5 divisions
- Six (6) “World Country Dance Championship Titles” in 2 division
- Three (3) “USA Grand National Championships Titles” in 2 divisons
- Numerous national titles in Hustle, Salsa, and Cabaret
- Inducted into the “California Swing Dance Hall of Fame”
- Became the youngest person inducted to the “UCWDC Country Dance Hall of Fame” in 2007
- Inducted into National Boppers Hall of Fame 2014
- Inductions into the “World Swing Dance Hall of Fame” and the “Living Legends of Dance Society” in 2011 make him the only dancer ever inducted into all of these organizations.
Robert’s exciting, high energy original choreography gained the attention of producers of the Broadway musical, “Swing!” This led to:
- Principle dancer performing his own choreography in the seven (7) time Tony nominated musical as a principle dancer
- Became the assistant choreographer for the first National Tour of the production
- Highlighted work in the production of “Gypsy of the Year on Broadway” at New York’s Palace Theatre and “Destination Groove,” a Choreographer’s Showcase
- His choreography and performance garnered more attention in the New York workshop production of “Urban Cowboy.”
- Royston co-created and produced the critically acclaimed show “SWANGO: The Musical” in 2002. The show ran in New York as a cabaret, leading to a full show with performances in NYC. Four (4) time Tony Award winner, Rupert Holmes, joined the creative team to write the script for the productions.
Royston’s professional journey led him into the music video world as a choreographer. Some of the highlights:
- Taylor Swift’s “Love Story,” won the 2009 CMA and CMT Videos of the Year
- Steel Magnolia’s “Last Night Again,” nominee for 2011 CMT Best Video
- Gloriana’s “Wanna Take You Home”
- The Band Perry’s “Hip To My Heart”
- The Mavericks’ “Born to be Blue”
- Waterloo Revival “Backwood Bump”
- The Bellamy Brothers’ “Shine Them Buckles”
- Roger Brown’s “Swing City”
Following the success of “Love Story” and choreographing Taylor Swift’s sold out, record breaking 2009 “Fearless” Tour, Royston’s career as performance coach, live tour director, and choreographer skyrocketed. Some of his tour work and staging for award shows include:
- Taylor Swift 2009-2010 “Fearless” tour
- Carly Rae Jepsen’s 2013 “This Kiss” tour
- Brad Paisley (ACM’s)
- Carrie Underwood (ACM’s)
- Sugarland (CMA’s)
- Miranda Lambert (ACM’s)
- John Fogerty (ACM’s)
- Brooks and Dunn (ACM’s)
- Rascal Flatts (ACM’s) and their World Tour presentation of “Dance Y’all”
- Steel Magnolia (ACA’s) plus live tour
- Charlie Daniels (ACM’s)
- Taylor Felt “Live at the Bijou”
Royston’s work as a Choreographer and dancer has also been seen in many feature films:
- Million Dollar Arm (Choreographer)
- Love’n Dancing (Producer, Choreographer, Actor)
- Gamer (Choreographer)
- Crank, High Voltage (Choreographer)
- Dance With Me (Dancer)
- Coached Ice Dance Champions and Olympians,
- Produced the World Championships of Country Dance on GAC Network.
- Bachelor Degree of Dance
- Professional Dance Instructor Association Master certification
- Longstanding member of the International Association of Dance Medicine and Science
An internationally recognized emcee and the voice of the US Open for over 15 years, Royston created the Social Networking “Shout Out” for online viewers, making the world feel part of the event. At the USA Grand Nationals his emceeing twice earned him the People’s Choice Award “Entertainer of the Year”. With his current schedule, Royston acts as emcee at over 20 events worldwide.
Royston also teaches his Intensives on Dance Physics and Musicality all over the world in addition to judging and teaching many different styles of couples dancing while also running his own Production Company, RoRo Productions in NYC. Above all, he is most proud of his children and feels being a Dad is his greatest journey.
Am I "good enough" to attend this workshop?
Maybe you’re thinking, “This all sounds great, Jonathan, but do I need to be an advanced dancer to take this class?” Absolutely not! If you’re comfortable with your 6 & 8 count basics (sugar push, left & right side pass, tuck, whip, reverse whip), then you’re good! Don’t know one of those yet? Find a place that has beginner WCS classes prior to the event!
No matter if you’re a novice or an all-star, everyone can get something amazing from Robert Royston